Tag Archives: factions

#WriteFriday – May 1st

I didn’t do much writing this Friday.  I was working, then I had some stuff to do around the house, and I was going to see the new Avengers that night.  So I had to fit in whatever I could.

I also didn’t do much writing because I made a place holder world on StoryNexus and started playing with the system.  I’ve played with StoryNexus a little bit in the past, but I need to re-familiarize myself with it.  Once I play around with it a little more, I’m hoping I can start actually building this game.  I’m not going to post the link to it on here yet though.  I want to wait until I have actually named it and have some content.

I also spent a bit of time trying to name my factions.  I came up with a name for one of them that I think is quite fitting.  I have a placeholder name for the second one (it works, but I don’t think it’s perfect).  And I still have no idea what to name the third one.  I also have to name the island this game will be taking place on.  And while I’m at it, I might map it out, too.  I don’t need to, but I really like drawing maps.

So yeah, that’s where I’m at.  I’m still kind of at the preliminary phase of building this game.  But that’s okay: things are slowly shaping up.  Hopefully I’ll have more time over the next week (or at least next Friday) to do a bit more of this background stuff. 🙂

Advertisement

Leave a comment

Filed under Game Development, Tools, Worldbuilding, Writing

#WriteFriday – April 24th

A couple of days ago, I tweeted the following:

What happened was that I decided to work on my StoryNexus project a bit prior to #WriteFriday.  My plan was to sit down and build the three main non-playable characters (NPCs) for my game.  And as I sat down to do so, I realized that two of the three characters had pretty much become their own entities.  They honestly did have a relationship between them, and there were ties to the third character as well (who was not as defined).

So yesterday during #WriteFriday, I was thinking I would do what I termed some “game design-y” work.  I was hoping that I had a good enough handle on things that i could start laying the groundwork for the actual game.

That didn’t quite work out though.  My basic plan is to have the three characters  who are each heading up one of the three factions.  I came up with three preliminary stats, one to coincide with each of the three factions (I say preliminary because one doesn’t seem quite right, but it’ll do to help me get started designing and writing this game). But then I decided that I really should name my characters and factions.

Now I’ll be the first to admit that naming things is not a strong point of mine.  I can come up with a great character, but it takes me FOREVER to come up with the perfect name for them.  So when I decided to name all three characters AND all three factions last night, I should have known that probably wouldn’t be happening.  But I did luck out and manage to name all three characters.

Hilariously, in doing so, the “relationship” between two of my characters managed to morph again.  When it did, it actually made naming those two somewhat easier because rather than being lovers, they were siblings.  I say somewhat because now I only needed one last name.  Of course, that one last name needed to fit both characters.

With those two characters suddenly being siblings, a lot of other things (in their back stories) kind of fell into place.  I knew where they were living.  I knew exactly what had happened between them .  And I knew how the third character fit in with them.  So all in all, yesterday was a very good #WriteFriday.

The next thing I’ll have to do is actually name the factions.  It’s not much fun calling them “Faction A,” “Faction B” and “Faction C.”

Leave a comment

Filed under Characters, Game Development, Tools, Worldbuilding, Writing