My third draft of my Author Quest submission was a bit of a struggle. As I mentioned last time, I was blocked during the writing process for a bit. And even when I did manage to start writing again, I still had issues writing the new Gelfling scenes. But all of that struggle was worth it, because the story has really shaped up in my third draft!
This draft was focussed on fixing up the story, particularly in making the major changes that my brother and I had talked about after he read it over. I ended up changing over 3000 words, drastically rewriting several scenes in the process. While this was rather tough at times, it was well worth it, as draft three has a stronger story than the previous drafts did. I was a little bit worried over the weekend that I wasn’t going to be in the right word count range, but luckily the third draft came in at 7,699 words, just slightly shorter than draft 2.
I have already sent draft three out to a couple of friends who have expressed interest in reading it and giving me some feedback. I have just two weeks left to submit this, so I’m hoping that they can get back to me before the weekend, giving me enough time to make any changes that I need to. Hopefully there won’t be any major changes that I’ll need to make.
So wish me luck during these final two weeks as I work on polishing everything before submitting it on the 31st!