Hi everyone! How were your holidays? Mine were quieter than normal, but still good. I’ve always loved the holiday season because it’s a time when I reconnect with family and friends. Since it wasn’t really possible to do so this year in person, I decided to send out Christmas cards instead. I even got a few back in reply by the end of that week! (I couldn’t believe how quickly they travelled!)
But now it’s a new year, which means time to reflect on the goals I set last year (and set some new ones!) Last year I basically set the same smaller goals for myself as in 2019: I wanted to read 25 novel-length books, finish one of the RPG’s that I’ve started (although I specifically picked Memories for 2020), and work on two short stories (although I decided I was going to edit a few I’ve already written, rather than write new ones). While I was successful with the first two goals, the short story editing unfortunately didn’t happen: I put it off, and then, when I was going to make a push to work on at least one during December, the book editing project I’m working on derailed that plan completely (which is okay – it was good to get some work on that done instead). And ever since I started learning both Ukrainian and French when I was off work due to the Covid-19 pandemic, a lot of my time has gone towards language learning as well.
I wasn’t really sure what sorts of goals I should set this year because I honestly have no idea what 2021 will bring in terms of the pandemic (I am hopeful we’ll get through it this year, but who knows if a third or fourth wave might shut everything down again?) I don’t want to overwhelm myself with ambitious projects (especially during this pandemic; some days I don’t want to do anything and that’s okay). Plus, if I’ve learned anything during the last several years of setting goals, it’s that a few smaller goals are better for me (also, I still seem to get derailed over the course of the year even with those smaller goals!)
But I did know that accomplishing some milestones in both French and Ukrainian would be important. Unfortunately it’s hard to quantify things like “be able to have a basic conversation” or “be able to have a deeper conversation.” So I looked through the goals I set for myself during my random October planning session, and chose some concrete things to accomplish from that list.
So with all of that lead-up, here are my goals for the year:
- Read 25 of the novel-length books I own. I know I can read 25 books in a year (I read 43 books this year). But I keep getting distracted by shiny new books at the library, completely ignoring all the books I have here. So I’m going to challenge myself to get through more of my books (of course, that will have to wait until I deal with the library books I’ve already got out…). Whether they’re physical or on my Kindle, I want to get through 25 of them before the end of the year!
- Write a new story. I feel like it’s been forever since I have, and I’d like to change that. I don’t care what kind of story it is: a short story, a novel, an RPG, a podcast, a screen play, whatever. I just want to work on something new!
- Language Learning goals:
- Ukrainian Duolingo tree to Gold (I’ve only got four more lesson bubbles to go!)
- Finish reading Short Stories in French for Beginners
- Finish reading 100 Easy Ukrainian Texts
- Read French Short Stories for Beginners
- Read French: Short Stories for Beginners and Intermediate Learners
- Read Ukrainian Language: Texts in Ukrainian
- Finish Ukrainian Lessons Podcast seasons 2-4
- Finish the Duolingo French tree (just getting to the end, not turning it to gold)
While it didn’t make the list, I’d also love to finish with the book editing project I’ve been working on since 2019. Unfortunately that’s out of my hands (the original end date for that should have been last winter, but it was taking longer than planned even before covid hit). So fingers crossed that it will finish this year, too!
So what about you? Have you set any goals for yourself this year? 🙂
2 responses to “Hello 2021!”
You’ve experienced many successes, Shauna! My somewhat broad goal is to do more of everything…reading, writing, and editing. I hope your new year will be healthy and happy!
Thanks Becky – same to you! 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person